Interestingly, in looking at the Assignment 2 questions and trying to learn about proving properties of binary strings, I stumbled upon the topic of "context-free grammars", which incidentally we are covering later in this course according to the schedule. I also learned they were originally described by Noam Chomsky, who I know about from his political writings. I very much admire Chomsky, and find the potential connection between formal languages in computer science and natural language very interesting!
Anyways, I'm admittedly having a bit of difficulty connecting the lecture material to the first question, and I hope that tonight's class will shed some light on that. The second question is more directly related to lecture material, and I can at least envision how to start. I'm happy the assignment is a bit shorter this time (or at least, appears to be; I might end up eating my words). Once I figure out how to solve questions like the first assignment problem, I'll probably write a post about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment