Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Post-Test, and starting "more practical" things

Well, we had our term test last week and I turned out to be pretty prepared for it, despite not feeling that way. The questions were all on structural and complete induction, so I didn't have trouble with the format, but two of them included recurrence relations which we didn't have a lot of practice with (other than talking about Fibonacci numbers relatively briefly in class). I was able to work them out and I think I did quite well, which is a good feeling!

The course seems to be changing flavour a bit now, and is starting to include reasoning about complexity of actual programs. I actually really like the purely theoretical proofs we've been doing -- it's fun to work them out, but it's also nice to do something which has a usefulness which is more immediate and apparent (even if it is, after all, still quite theoretical). It definitely has practical benefits, the first one coming to mind being comparing seemingly similar algorithms, which helps me stay motivated.

Anyways, this term has been a balancing act for me so far (a lot of commitments, school and otherwise), so it is good to get some positive feedback! I think my studying habits have been pretty reasonable for this course, but if I have trouble with the next assignment I might have to devote more time to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment